Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's a tundra out there.

As of right now 60.4 inches of snow has fallen in Boston this winter and much of it is still on the ground.  I decided to venture downtown to explore the frozen tundra that Boston has been transformed into.

The Duck Pond is a snow covered paradise.  People were walking across it, crazy! Of course I walked in it too.  At first I thought they had drained it and it was only snow, but there was definitely ice under the snow - crazy!
 The "Make Way for Ducklings" ducks were knee(do they have knees) deep in snow. Actually it looked like they had to be dug out so that they could be seen!
 I really went downtown to see the Charles River all frozen over.  I had never seen anything like it. Straight across  frozen solid and then covered in snow. I ventured out onto one of the docks and it was amazing - the snow was nearly up to the dock's level and it was just amazing to be standing in this frozen zone.
 Then as I wandered farther down along the river I came along this sight.
 That would be the Charles River they are playing on. Clearly, the river is really frozen.  My mom told me that years ago when they lived up here people would skate on the frozen river, never thought I would see that in today's tumultuous weather times.
 And then, I figured, if they were doing it, why couldn't I!
Oh yes, that is me, standing on the Charles River! If I had a bucket list, standing on a frozen over river probably would have been on it, and now it would be crossed off! Insane, but a pretty cool thing to experience!

And of course, Tuesday and Wed. we could get another 10 inches. If that is the case the amount of snow that has fallen will be taller than I am - I.N.S.A.N.E.

0 thoughts on the matter: