Friday, February 25, 2011

The Damp Silver Lining

I had a lot to accomplish today.  I am having friends over for shabbat dinner, I needed to do laundry, cook, clean the apartment, and get in some MTEL studying.

Then the wrench was thrown into the plans.

I was eating some lunch and I heard a dripping sound coming from my bathroom.  I thought that I hadn't tightened the faucet enough the last time I had been in there.  I walked in, looked around, and realized the dripping sound was coming from behind the door.  I looked up and my ceiling was leaking.  Great, right? I panicked, composed myself, called my landlady, knocked on the door of the apartment above me, called me mom (minor freak out again), called the co-op management's company, and then put a pot under the leak.

Turns out the seal on the toilet in the apartment above me is defunct.  They are trying to get a plumber in ASAP and I now have a stock pot, in my bathroom, with well over 3 cups of water in it.

I felt all flustered, naturally, and as I was getting the mushrooms in the pan to saute it hit me.

In one weeks time I will be home in New York will Spring break.  Good thing that this whole thing happened today when I was home to realize it and not 300 miles away.

There it was the damp, silver lining, but a silver lining none the less.

And in the end, my apartment is clean, my laundry is done, I have a great dinner cooked to enjoy tonight, and I even got a little MTEL studying in.

Now, I am going to get dressed and go to shul, and then have a relaxing, delicious, and fun evening with my friends. With a lovely drip-drip-dip background music.

Silver lining my friend, no matter how damp it is.

0 thoughts on the matter: