Thursday, July 14, 2011

Watermelon

I have an addiction. Albeit, it's a healthy addiction, but an addiction none the less.  I am seriously addicted to watermelon.  I am not a buy a pre-sliced melon 1/4 at the market and have it last all week type of girl. Nope. I am a buy a whole melon and eat it within a week (if it lasts that long) type of girl. 
 I just love when summer rolls around, I just get so excited when I see the crates of watermelons outside the market. I seriously could (can?) exist on watermelon alone. I've even perfected my watermelon choosing technique.  It's all in the thwack. First, it has to be heavy for it's size, makes sense since you want it filled with water! Then it's about a nice hollow sound when you give it a good thwack. Since I learned this technique I have never gotten a bad melon! Only bright pink and juicy melon goodness for me!
It's a simple summer pleasure. And after all the hard work of carving up the melon, I love enjoying a bowlful of delicious juicy watermelon!

5 thoughts on the matter:

deb duty said... {Reply}

That looks so good! We haven't even had one yet this year. We must get one soon!

EmFish said... {Reply}

yummm...
in my family, we put just a dash of salt on watermelon sometimes for an extra tang. my high school friend who grew up in Mexico eats hers with chili powder.

Buckeroomama said... {Reply}

You and me, girl, you and me!

We'll have to have a watermelon feast if/when we get together. I have to have watermelon every day when it's in season.

tinajo said... {Reply}

I love watermelon too - that and strawberries... Could eat tons and tons (which I actually do too...)! :-)

Unknown said... {Reply}

I love it too : ) I must get lucky, because I don't even thwack them! I just look for a pretty shape and throw that puppy in the cart.

I asked the boys if they could just eat watermelon all day today since we are almost out of food and I don't feel like going to the market. They said no : (