Friday, February 10, 2012

100th day!

100 days! Wow, wow, wow! This was the day we were counting up to since the first day of school. Okay, so we're really counting up to the 180th day of school, but 100, wow! 

We had a fun day celebrating this milestone! We had a massive exchanging of the cubes "ceremony" during morning meeting, we all shared the collection of 100 items we had brought in (I brought in 100 individual quinoa grains), and we counted by 10s to 100 during our morning games and movements!

Then, all the first graders spent two hours at various stations celebrating. We made 100 glasses, filled in 100 boards, wrote 100 a 100 times, saw how many jumping jacks we could do in 100 seconds, tried to write 100 words, built a structure with 100 blocks, and made necklaces with 100 beads!
The kids had a blast and a few of them wanted to know what we would do to celebrate the 200th day of school. I told them I would be sleeping late and enjoying my vacation, but that they could plan the day and have fun!

And for prosperity's sake, here is my daily journal entry, 100th day style!


I learned...that you can spend two fun hours celebrating the 100th day of school and the kids have no idea they're actually learning!

Something great that happened was...seeing the kids have so much fun celebrating the 100th day and get so into counting out 100 things! I hope they are always this energized on the 100th day!

Something challenging that happened was...still having to remind some of the kids how to behave, maybe it was all the excitement, but some of them have forgotten how first graders behave.

A question I have is...when are kids "crushing" on each other and when is it becoming teasing?

I wonder...how the next 80 days will go and how much more the kids will grow by then.
life rearranged Favorite Photo Friday Button

4 thoughts on the matter:

Nancy said... {Reply}

I think it's awesome to recognize these mileposts in time. Looks like the kids agree! :)

Jessica said... {Reply}

100 days of school sounds so fun!

Sian said... {Reply}

This is such a good idea I wish I had thought of this while I was teaching!

Holly said... {Reply}

How cool! I don't think I've ever been in a school that celebrates the 100th day!