Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I'm going to miss this...

Alternatively titeled: schools out for summer!! 

We made it. I cannot believe it. 
180 days...9.5 months...19 kids...2 teachers

We all survived! We all learned! We did it! In all honestly though, I'm going to miss this. 
 the messes...
 the fun and games...
 the friendships...
the learning...
the coping mechanisms...

I go back and forth between being ecstatic that it's summer vacation and sadness. This was my first class. They made me a teacher. They pushed me to the brink some days, but others the sweetness and laughs and eureka moments reminded me why I am doing this.

I think the hardest part of saying good-bye was that it was good-bye. Heaven help me, I will have a job at another school next year. I won't see these amazing 19 kids as big second graders. I feel like a mama bird who just watched her bird babies fly out of the nest. I know I did my best and that they will do so well next year.

I also know they taught me so much and I cannot wait to get to do it all again come September. But for now, there is one thing I will not miss...
my early morning alarm(s)...

Happy summer vacation!

11 thoughts on the matter:

Secret Mom Thoughts said... {Reply}

Your class was lucky to have you. Enjoy your summer off.

Kmcblackburn said... {Reply}

Those kids were blessed to have you in their lives for 9 months. School's out...go sleep! :)

Mona's Picturesque said... {Reply}

Beautiful post! And wonderful pics full of memories ♥

Charmaine Poulin said... {Reply}

Awwww, I'll bet you are an awesome teacher!!! Enjoy your time to yourself....and hopefully you'll have another wonderful group to mould!!!

Kim Cunningham said... {Reply}

I so understand the elation and sadness of leaving your first classroom! It's hard to believe that you'll love other kids next year. Looks like it was a great year. Enjoy your summer, and before you know it you'll be back at it. Hope you find a great teaching position!

Nancy said... {Reply}

So happy you had a good year, Tamar! Enjoy your summer. :)

Buckeroomama said... {Reply}

Awww... May you always have that sense of attachment, that this-is-a-special-class-for-me with every class you'll have. I think that's what separates teachers-who-really-care from those who simply view it as just a job. :)

We still have another week to go before school ends.

Unknown said... {Reply}

I bet they will miss you too! And I don't miss those early morning alarms either. :)

Gina Kleinworth said... {Reply}

Certainly goes by quickly- looks like it was a really fun year.

Teachinfourth said... {Reply}

I've been a teacher for 12 years and I know exactly what you're talking about. It's sad to see them go, but it's still exciting to think of the new group which will be coming in before you know it.

Rachel said... {Reply}

Aww - congrats! I know how bittersweet that is!