Thursday, February 14, 2013

Gone Chrome

It's been a techy 2 weeks in third grade. Sure, we've used technology on a regular basis through the smartboard or our class ipad, but now we've kicked up a notch! 
Our school's 7th and 8th graders have chrome books (google chrome only) that they use for their learning. We just received 40 more for everyone else to use. After school vacation week (this coming week), we're kicking off a research unit in third grade. This year the kids will use the internet to research and type their reports! 
To get the kids used to the chrome books, I've been using them over the past few days to help them ease into how we log in, open a google doc, share it with me, etc. Every day their confidence has grown and their typing is even getting better!
To help with the exposure/practice. I've used them in language arts all week.  I had my class type their spelling sentences and also do some creative writing. It's great low key practice for working on our word processing skills!
I love how much confidence they have in just a few classes! Their writings from yesterday were adorable and they were more willing to type than write! Their spelling is even better since they immediately see now when a word is spelled wrong!

Now, I'm stoked to start the research unit in a week!
Little by Little


13 thoughts on the matter:

Kim Cunningham said... {Reply}

This is awesome! Love how you are bringing technology to the classroom. It is so important. I want to be in your class!

Buckeroomama said... {Reply}

I always love hearing what you do in your classes. J definitely falls into the camp of those preferring to type out his work rather than writing it down. I guess it is much neater overall that way.

Deanna said... {Reply}

Your love of teaching shows through in these posts about your classroom fun. I bet your students just love you!!

Pride In Photos Beauty said... {Reply}

I was shaking my head the whole time I am reading this. They are learning the same things adults are learning☺ Oh boy...this generation is going to be so on top of things when they get older. Very nice.

renae said... {Reply}

Glad we can sport our red shoes on a day of hearts. hahahaha. Your student are so eager to learn and please. That is such a handsome bunch of students [gals included]. Learning research at such an early age and on computers, no less. WOW! That is WONDERFUL. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Kmcblackburn said... {Reply}

How fun! I wish I could learn technology with the abandon of a kid...no fear :)

Sian said... {Reply}

very cool!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I used to want a chrome book, lucky for your students! where do you teach? the kids in my kids' school wear that same time of kippah. :)

Unknown said... {Reply}

This is awesome. Did I ever tell you that you are a great teacher? You are!

Gina Kleinworth said... {Reply}

This is awesome!!! Kids sure won't be able to get by without all this tech as they get older- so great they you are able to teach them.

Mary Gene Atwood said... {Reply}

So necessary to make sure these kids are tech saavy! Nice job and sounds like an amazing school that you work at!

Serendipityissweet said... {Reply}

Wow, what an awesome resource!

And yay, for school vacation :) Enjoy!!

Unknown said... {Reply}

Great innovation!!
Follow me on http://laviecestchic.blogspot.it
xoxo