Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Screen Time

Before I first heard the pealing of the bell...
Like you I was curious...

So innocent I asked a thousand questions...
Listen up and I will teach you, a thing or two...


{Matilda London Cast - School Song}


Growing up, screen time wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today, especially screen time in schools.

I remember first having a computer in my third grade classroom and it was a big ole desktop, with only DOS and no Windows and *gasp* an 8 inch floppy disk drive. I think we had Oregon Trail, Kosher Baseball (seriously best games ever), and some math program...

Flash forward to my third grade class...

We are beyond privileged to have an ipad cart and a chromebook cart. Despite the abundance of technology I work hard to balance the time the kiddos spend staring at a screen and the time they spend staring at me (well, hopefully listening to me!).

I believe that nothing can replace me as their teacher! But, I know that the new young mind is programed to "tune in" to a screen. I work hard to only let them use their screens in purposeful way and have gotten into an amazing groove this year with how we are using tech in the classroom...

For phonics, I make screen cast videos for my groups to watch to reinforce the skills we're working on.
In math, we work on math facts, make books about math concepts to read to the early childhood kiddos, and watch mini-lesson videos, too.
In writing, we use an amazing program teaching us how to read and respond to articles.
In social studies, they use power points that I make to research the 50 states as we study our country.
We use apps that teach them to type, help with reading skills, and even grammar skills.

I love watching them engage with the technology, knowing that they are learning and becoming digital citizens. Plus, I won't lie...they are for sure much quieter and calmer when "plugged" in...but I am right there engaging with them and guiding them along!


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

6 thoughts on the matter:

Bekah said... {Reply}

Oh my goodness - I'd forgotten about the computers of yore! I remember those from our elementary school classrooms too! And in junior high and high school, I remember going to the computer labs, with the big, boxy computers, to work on word processing. WOWSA. Feeling old!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Classrooms definitely need to use the screens to stay up to date in the current world! And the kids love it too. iPads are really helpful for Zachary with his writing / spelling issues!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

This is SO cool!! We've come a long way, baby!

Tom said... {Reply}

Tamar, thanks so much for stopping by today. Every day as I walk on the beach I see people of all ages wired into some devise. They rarely see or hear the beauty that surrounds them, a tweet or text is a conversation. Darn, I sure am old and I'm glad for that.

Seraphinas Phantasie said... {Reply}

Fantastic snapshot of your students.
Best, Synnöve

Buckeroomama said... {Reply}

It's really quite amazing how kids learn these days compared to how we learned. It's amazing how tech-savvy they are. That said, I think we'd be as tech-savvy, too, had we had access and exposure to the same technology they have today. Just saying. :)