Thursday, February 21, 2019

Castillo de San Marcos

Mom and I are the "experience the cultural bits" when on vacation people so we drove down to St. Augustine yesterday to see the Castillo de San Marcos fort. It is the oldest fort in the USA and we learned so much about its establishment and history in Florida. 
Its history began in the late 1600s when it was built by Spain to protect important shipping routes. It fell into British rule in the mid-1700s after the British took control of Florida. It even played a role in the Revolutionary war!

We learned all about how it was built - the walls are crushed shells -- you can even see them now in the warn walls. There were historical enactors sharing what it was like to be a soldier stationed there so long ago. There was some amazing information on how cannons were used to defend the walls too.

Such a neat piece of history! 


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


Come link up and join...

the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

18 thoughts on the matter:

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

I feel warmer just seeing those palm trees!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said... {Reply}

The fort is a great place to visit and of course I love St. Augustine!

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh how cool, Tamar! I love visiting historical places like this. I need to do more of that with my kids now that they are old enough to appreciate it.

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Tom said... {Reply}

...St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S. Amazing.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Very cool. We went to a similar place in Cuba.

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What a wonderful place. So very nice. I would love to visit there. Thanks for sharing it. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

Soooo jealous of your Floride vacation, Tamar! Hope you are having fun!

Lydia C. Lee said... {Reply}

I would never have picked that as in America!! Wow!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

I love visiting historical places!

Klara S said... {Reply}

It's cool to see an old castle and palm trees...
Thank you for hosting.

Joanne said... {Reply}

That looks so neat! We try to add in a bit of history or culture on most of our trips too. Enjoy the nice Florida heat!

Bekah said... {Reply}

First of all, I'm so happy/jealous that you get to be somewhere warm! Secondly, thank you for letting me live vicariously through your trip. And finally - WOW. What a neat place! I am so glad I finally have a love and appreciation for history!

Tea With Jennifer said... {Reply}

How interesting! I love historical sites!
Blessings,
Jennifer

Linda said... {Reply}

I've been to Florida but I haven't seen the old forts. I should go ...

Anonymous said... {Reply}

rowerh416@airmail.cc
calvim600@airmail.cc
powdaniel639@airmail.cc
popecurt442@airmail.cc
rosemhawk726@airmail.cc
tonlawrence498@airmail.cc
rde417471@airmail.cc
ce391230@airmail.cc
viclambe296@airmail.cc
gajimmie190@airmail.cc
dibarret409@airmail.cc
hughevi673@airmail.cc
chekim246@airmail.cc
howarmabel827@airmail.cc
cooperla758@airmail.cc
kyne45548@airmail.cc
casleona460@airmail.cc
cassa634@airmail.cc
fiesean782@airmail.cc
nhowar667@airmail.cc
bob00718@outlook.com
john201924@outlook.com
gcharli241@yandex.com
perrfr810@yandex.com
davidalva289@yandex.com
cujanic288@outlook.com
lorettaor602@outlook.pt
arwilliams411@outlook.com
herkim913@hotmail.com
derbu145409@hotmail.com
da337169@hotmail.com
bro80322@hotmail.com
+351 910 775 306
+351 910 802 482
+351 910 802 113

passion fruit, paws and peonies said... {Reply}

I love the historic parts of a trip too - I would love to visit this fort one day xx

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. My kind of day out!

Claire Justine said... {Reply}

Beautiful photos Tamar. Makes me want to go away, right now :)