Thursday, May 30, 2019

Runner Not Running

In my nearly 3 years of running hardcore, I've been lucky to have only dealt with minor injuries. Ones that never fully sidelined me; just a touch of runners knee and a nagging piriformis. But, it seems my good fortunes have run dry (yes...bad pun) and, for the time being, I am a "runner not running."
Right around the Providence half, I began to have some nagging hip/groin pain. My PT and chiro worked on it, but alas no relief. I happened to be at my sports med doctor for a piriformis follow up. He ordered an MRI, mentioning in passing, "if the hip is anything we'll get to see that too."
Famous last words from Dr. Beasely....
I kept running because oddly enough, it hurt the least then. I even set a huge PR at the Harpoon 5 Miler the day after my MRI...
A few days later I got a call asking me to come back in. I asked what was up. And the following words were what every runner dreads hearing: "looks like you have a stress reaction in your femur." Well, fudge. Now, a reaction means we caught it before it fractured, but still no good. My doc called back and said since the pain was getting worse, and walking was getting harder, then for sure running was 100% off the table until I saw him. Which meant I would log my first "did not start" as a runner and have to miss my 7th half - the Run to Remember.
After seeing my doctor to go over this all more in-depth, the current plan stands at ZERO running (or any high impact anything) for 6-8 weeks. I can cycle, swim, and do upper body work - that's it. He warned me, that when I can resume running it will be a painfully slow process to avoid a repeat or new stress injury.
My races for the rest of the year are on hold too, sadly. It stinks. Royally. But there is no safe way to start half training off an injury and not hurt myself more. So right now I am trusting my doctor (one of the top sports med ones in the world) and trying to remain positive that 2020 won't know what ran through it!
It feels weird to be grounded. One thing to not "feel" like running, but this is serious. If I want to run again, I best be a good little runner and listen to my doctor and PT and rehab this well. I'm focusing on strength training my upper body and core. Eating well. Sleeping well. And keeping my eyes on the prize: more races, more miles, more adventures.




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter



Come link up and join...

the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

17 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...rarely does life turn out as planned.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

It is so hard when we are forbidden from doing the things we love. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy for a quick healing process!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

I'm sorry about your injury. It's hard when our bodies don't cooperate with what our hearts and minds want to do. I still wish I could run but my body told me I could either be a runner or I could be someone who is able to walk in ordinary life. I chose the latter. :) But you will bounce back and be a runner again soon! Good for you in listening to your doctor.

Mary K. said... {Reply}

I am sorry to hear of your injury Tamar. You have always been so enthusiastic about running. But I'm sure if you could take a breather and heal you will be back in no time and better than ever. Sometimes our bodies need to rest and heal.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

That is too bad that happened! It is funny that they say running is great for your bones but then it's also really hard on your body. Good luck on the healing.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said... {Reply}

I know you're disappointed but please follow the doctor's directions. I know someone who didn't and ended with permanent injury requiring surgery. Sending you warm and happy thoughts!

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

I am sorry to read this. I know what a kick you get out of running :(

Jill Foley said... {Reply}

It really does stink. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

I could relate to the bit about hip pain and still running....I remember when my hip pain started and I just kept running because it really was the only time my hip didn't hurt!

LA Paylor said... {Reply}

omg. Bad news for sure. It's hard not to feel that high running gives you. But not forever, bodies heal. Yours will heal because you're young. Maybe this set back will give you a love of swimming, or you'll meet someone you were meant to by doing alternate exercise. I learned so much when I almost died a few years back from a caulk related allergy, and thru treatments. Leeanna

Suchot said... {Reply}

Oh Tamar, I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope with a bit of time and lots of rest that you'll be able to get back to running soon.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

This really does stink royally! You be a good little runner and do what the professionals tell you!! I know you will! This won't keep you down!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

Sending positive thoughts that you can run again soon. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle said... {Reply}

I’m so sorry you’ve been waylaid from doing what you love. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

Oh, Tamar, I am so sorry to read that you have a stress fracture! I am sure you will listen to your doctor, heal up, and be back on the roads in no time. Are you allowed to do water running? That's no impact. I did that last summer when I was injured and it really kept my fitness levels up.

Joanne said... {Reply}

I am so sorry to hear that you are injured. I bet that must be frustrating but I totally agree that rest is key!

Klara S said... {Reply}

OMG. Not cool to be grounded.I'm sorry to hear that, but you're right, you have to concentrate on food and sleep. Don't overtrain your upper body :)
Good luck. All the best.

Bekah said... {Reply}

I am so so sorry!! I had told Ryan your diagnosis after I saw it on social media, and he said, 'ohhhhhhhhhhh that's not fun.' (I knew he would ACTUALLY understand what you were dealing with.) Hoping for complete healing even though it will be slow!