Thursday, January 9, 2020

Ancient Nubia

The MFA has an amazing collection on display now all about Ancient Nubia. Now, I admit, when I heard about the exhibit and saw glimpses of the exhibition on social media I assumed it was part of Egypt. But, I learned that Nubia was it's own culture and thriving kingdom in the Sudanese Nile Valley.
The amazing pieces on display told the story of an amazing culture, quite similar to that of Egypt (they shared many resources) but also told what made this region and series of kingdoms so unique. They didn't use mummies, but funeral beds. They had different gems and gods that they made statues and reliefs of. 

The MFA hopes this exhibit will help highlight this culture and history that has often been lumped together with the history of Egypt. I know I learned loads. 




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

10 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

This looks wonderful - and great photos too!

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh wow, Tamar, and I just learned something new as well. Thank you for sharing parts of this exhibit. I am now going to Google Nubia because I am very interested in learning more!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Tom said... {Reply}

...lovely ancient art, perhap it would be better to have remained in the Sudanese Nile Valley and not have been raided.

Lea said... {Reply}

Wonderful! I would enjoy seeing that

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Very interesting!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

So very interesting and wonderful. Very lovely. Thanks for sharing it and have a wonderful weekend.

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

How do you find all these interesting exhibits? Looks great!

Joanne said... {Reply}

Oh that sounds like a great field trip idea!

s said... {Reply}

Hi Tamar,
Great pictures, I always assume Nubia was
part of Egypt. Thanks for setting that
thought straight. Have a great day!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

Very interesting!