Thursday, December 17, 2020

Bear Mountain State Park and Zoo

Mom and I took advantage of an unseasonably warm day this past weekend to head back up to Bear Mountain to check out the small zoo there. The zoo is free to the public (you do pay to park at Bear Mountain) and actually on the Appalachian Trail! We were concerned by the animals' small enclosures, but a sign let us know that they are all rescues and their enclosures suit their needs just right.
You get spectacular views of the Hudson River and Bear Mountain Bridge and there was great signage about the history of the trail and region. We wandered down towards the river before heading back to the main park and saw a freight train chug by too. 

Super COVID safe and fun outing.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

15 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

How nice that the trail is worked into the zoo. Is that a wolf in the photo? It looks beautiful.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh what a beautiful place to visit, Tamar! I always get concerned about animals kept in enclosed spaces as well. We have a small zoo right near my house that is the home to animals that are all native to this region. It is a lovely place to walk around, but I do get so sad for the beasts behind bars!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

aspiritofsimplicity said... {Reply}

What a beautiful place. I am not a big fan of zoos but this one seems really nice and they are rescues so that makes it a good place.

Tom said... {Reply}

...the beer posed nicely for you in image number 2.

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

I wish there were a zoo closer to me. Watching animals is so fascinating!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I have always loved Bear Mountain!

Lea said... {Reply}

Looks like a great place for rescued animals! Beautiful scenic bridge photo!
Have a wonderful day!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

What a perfect outing! That looks like such a great zoo.

Hazel said... {Reply}

History signages are some of my favorite bits about sightseeing. Thanks for hosting Little Things Thursday. I'm joining for the first time.

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

How do you always find the most interesting places to visit - even during a pandemic? Loved sharing your outing. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Suburban Girl said... {Reply}

I am so glad when zoos are rescue based! I won't go to the other kind.

Joanne said... {Reply}

That looks like such a neat place to visit.

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What a beautiful place to visit. Very nice.

Bekah said... {Reply}

I love this so much! I hope we get a chance to see a glimpse of that trail at some point. Ryan would love to hike the whole thing but I know I'm not made for that (unless there's a newly installed air conditioner- ha!). But to even see part of it would be so fun!

Natasha said... {Reply}

Oh, I'd love to walk part of the Appalachian Trail. How cool!