Thursday, February 11, 2021

Hipster Kasha Varniskas

Kasha varnishkas is a classic Eastern European/Jewish dish. Also called "kasha and bowties" since it's traditionally made with bowtie shaped pasta. It's basically Ashkenazi comfort food - but this time I gave it a hipster, healthier twist with Banza chickpea pasta!
Kasha - or buckwheat - is a naturally gluten-free grain. It comes from Asia but set up shot in Russian cuisine, which many traditionally Ashkenazi dishes come from. 
As a child, my mom would make this many weeks for shabbas. The picky eater that I was often would just eat plane pasta - no kasha, no veggies, just bowties. But I still lovingly declared "we are having kasha and bowties for dinner!"
Now, as an adult, I love this easy comfort food. It's really nothing fancy. It doesn't look super pretty. The ingredients aren't overly original. But it's Jewish soul food - part of my roots.
Ever since going gluten-free, I haven't been able to replicate this classic. Sure. There are GF noodles, but it's not kasha unless it's kasha and bowties! Well, thank you Banza for making bowtie shaped pasta so I could remake this dish, 2021 style!
Sometimes, a little nostalgia goes a long way with food and this one hit the spot!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

19 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

I actually don't know this dish but it looks delicious! I make buckwheat salad with chickpeas in, which I guess has a similar taste.

Hazel said... {Reply}

The bowtie pasta looks very pretty. That alone would entice curious me to try it. And I learned something new today, thanks and thanks for hosting Little Things Thursday.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Tamar, this looks amazing! I am definitely going to try this if I can find some buckwheat. I do like good old fashioned soul food from any culture. And now that I am exploring Ashkenazi history a bit more, I definitely want to try this recipe!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Joanne said... {Reply}

That looks good! There is nothing like recreating comfort foods.

Natasha said... {Reply}

Okay, I need to see if Dave knows this dish.

Tom said... {Reply}

...a hister I am NOT!

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

This would be a totally new dish for me! I love that there is such a variety of food around the world, and that there are also gluten-free options available for more people.

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

Bowties + anything = fun and delish!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

My mom used to make this too. I haven't had it forever!

Bekah said... {Reply}

That looks really REALLY delicious!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

Bow ties are so fun! This sounds really good!! Must try!

Anonymous said... {Reply}

I’m so glad your were able to find a gluten free pasta so you could make this comfort food. I have a wheat allergy so I understand the challenge.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Ani said... {Reply}

OK so this is probably too much information, but Banza pasta gives me the serious bubble guts. I don't know what it is because chickpeas don't have the same effect, I could eat them all day. This dish looks great though, I'd like to try it with 'regular' pasta!

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Wishing you happy days, cousin!

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it! Probably with regular bowties, though.

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

That looks so yummy. Very nice.

Linda said... {Reply}

Sounds filling. Thank you for hosting.

Lucy said... {Reply}

That looks absolutely delicious!!

Sara Chapman in Seattle USA said... {Reply}

I just made kasha last week. It's hard to find buckwheat these days! It's awfully good with potroast gravy, too. Those noodles sound very good.