Thursday, July 14, 2022

Roosevelt Island

I had never been to Roosevelt Island, which is crazy! The island is in the East River between Manhattan and Astoria. It was first explored by the Dutch in the 1600s and by the 1800s it was home to several prisons and hospitals, to keep the "rif raf" out of Manhattan. By the 1900s the island was booming, with tons of apartments being built. Today, over 14,000 people live on the little 2 mile strip of land. 
In the 70s, the island was renamed Roosevelt Island and since then it's become quite the place to be. 4 Freedoms Park at the southern end was dedicated in 2012 and was where Hillary Clinton launched her presidential bid! Cornell Tech is housed on the island and there is even a trendy boutique hotel. The Queensboro bridge goes across the island, with the tramway bringing people in from Manhattan.

It was a really cool place to explore. The views are stunning with motor boats and barges whizzing by on either side. I didn't even get a chance to see the northern side of the island and will just need to go back!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

9 thoughts on the matter:

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh what a cool place, Tamar! I have never been to Roosevelt Island either. In fact, I am not sure I even knew of it until now! So thanks for sharing and educating me! It always amazes how many people can live in such small spaces...14,000 in a 2 mile strip is so crazy to me! So I had to compare the population density of my town, Watertown, NY (2,733.7/sq mi ) to Roosevelt Island (50,700/sq mi) and my mind can’t seem to comprehend it! Haha.

Shelbee

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

I always discover something great here!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I must have visited the opposite side as you did! Is that a bookstore?? I don't think I realized that people live there either.

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

I always learn new things here, too. Thanks for doing the exploring for us. I thought I would get to visit New York this fall, but it's not going to happen after all.

kwarkito said... {Reply}

I remember going there in the early 90's. The old hospital buildings were about to be demolished. It was a bit of a sad, slightly hostile place. It's become very beautiful and welcoming

Lea said... {Reply}

Love those blue skies!
Thanks for hosting!

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Thanks. I always wanted to check that out!

Bekah said... {Reply}

Wow!!! That is an impressive statistic for population!! Thanks for taking me on a virtual tour!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What an interesting place. Thanks for the info and the tour. I would love to visit it. Very nice. Thanks for hosting and I hope your weekend is going good.