Tuesday, March 21, 2023

NYC Half Marathon 2023

I ran the NYC Half for a second time on Sunday! I got in via the lottery and had a fantastic 10-week training cycle. The race was a major "do-over" for me, too. When I raced it in 2019, I managed to get struck with the flu around mile 5. This time, I was strong, healthy-ish (minor chest cold), and ready to run from Brooklyn to Central Park. 
Sunday was an unusually cold (30 before the windchill) and windy March day in NYC. The NYRR had to put out a "cold weather" warning and there was a gnarly windchill. I kept nice and warm at the start thanks to a bunch of throw-away clothes (they get donated!) and an old foil blanket from my December half. 

I trusted my training and settled in. After a nice easy warm up in mile one I let loose and kept my splits around 9:20ish the whole run. I really began to feel the wind and run out of steam around Mile 11 but thankfully 7th Avenue was packed with crowds and the energy carried me into the park. I really sprinted to the finish and left it all on the course. 

I finished in 2:03:59 which is just 26 seconds off my PR. I am beyond proud of that time (ok a little miffed) and how hard I have worked to come back from my hip injuries. 

The next big race on the horizon...the NYC Marathon in November!! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!


11 thoughts on the matter:

Joanne said... {Reply}

That is a fabulous comeback; especially with the weather being so awful besides. Yay you!!

Tom said... {Reply}

...have a "sweet" day.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Great job!

Natasha said... {Reply}

Way! To! Go!!! That's amazing!!!

Patsy Burnette said... {Reply}

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon, especially in that temp!! That's an accomplishment, I know. I've run the ING Marathon a couple times here in Atlanta. It's a beautiful experience! :) —Patsy

Lydia C. Lee said... {Reply}

I had a friend run it and her surname begins with Sp. I was very excited thinking I'd see her name but just missed it!! Well done you!! Congratulations.

Klara said... {Reply}

Chapeau! This is an achievement!

handmade by amalia said... {Reply}

Thank you for the lovely party, happy spring!
Amalia
xo

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

Congratulations on completing a half marathon in less than ideal temperatures. Well done!

Bekah said... {Reply}

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you that you got to run this race! You inspire me!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

Woo hoo that's amazing. It was COLD that day. It's so cool that they donate the thrown away clothes. My daughter is doing her first half marathon in May-the Brooklyn Half.