Friday, July 17, 2009

Intro and Birthdays

Preface: Welcome to my random/spill over blog. I have a blog for my project 365 pics and since that is its sole purpose I am using my very neglected Gluten free blog as a now spill over blog. If there is something I want to blog about, like these awesome Carnivals at kellyskornerblog.com I can do it here! Welcome and enjoy!

Birthdays: My mom was amazing at throwing parties, and making cakes. I was looking at everyones posts and decided to take pictures (scanner is on the fritz!) of my favorite cakes/birthdays and share some ideas. Pardon the quality and lovely 80s/90s flashbacks!


This was my 2nd birthday in my class at school. My mom made ice cream cone cupcakes, I remember them being yummy and they look like real cones, without the mess of melty ice cream!

This was the monkey cake for my 2nd birthday party. I was a wild thing as a child and this monkey cake was in due order! I think my mom still has the plan for the cake, 19 years later! I hope to make it for my own little monkey when I have kids. I believe it was chocolate cake and frosting.

This was my 4th birthday. I had a Moo Ba La La La/Barn theme. My mom had made a awesome poster on old boxes my friends and I could color on with the charachters from the books. We made piggy banks, played playdough, and I think made animal cookies. The cake was a small barn cake and little cow cupcakes. I remember this one being so fun!

I was obsessed with being an astronaut when I was little. For my 5th birthday I had an out of this world party!!! My mom made an awesome shuttle cake. It used black licorise for the black bands and red life saves near the windows. One of my favs!

You cannot go to space without going for a moon walk! We took pretty much every pillow/cushion in the house and threw old blankets on them and made a bouncy moon surface, that was a great way for kindergartners to get rid of the sugar rush!

My dad pulled out all the stops making our space station with random odds and ends and tools he had in the garage. I begged for weeks to leave it up, even though it blocked the toy shelves, this was all I needed!

For my 9th birthday I had a mystery party for my closest girl friends. My mom saw this cake in a magazine and did an amazing job recreating it. It is just a circular cake on a regular rectangle cake and the handle is a ding-dong or one of those treats. I loved how the writing got bigger in the magnifying class, and who doesn't like 3 layers of cake!

For my 10th birthday my mom surprised me with this cake! I was in awe, I took dance for 17 years and loved this ode to dance! The hair is rainbow sprinkles, the eyes are mini oreos, and the nose and mouth are icing. What a labor of love!

By 11 I was over parties, but my mom made me this for a family dinner with close friends, I had moved on from a space obsession to a turtle obsession and boy was this cake adorable, and delicious!

For 15 (the other few years were not as fascinating, but still good in my mind!) my mom made a snowboarding mountain cake. She made a slop out of a couple sections of cake, found a lego snowboarder and used lego trees, the candles became the gates on the slope!

Here is the mountain from the side.

Thanks for visiting and happy party planning!

0 thoughts on the matter: