Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bob's Red Mill

I've spoken before about how much I love the Bob's Red Mill products. I've even visited the factory/mother ship store in Portland. Well, the kind folks there offered me three products to try, review, and offer to you, my blog friends!
I chose the shortbread mix, steel cut oats, and brownie mix. I honestly had a hard time deciding what to pick! So many yummy looking gluten-free options, even after I factored in all the ones I have already tried! 
First up, the brownie mix. Now, this may get me some "say what" looks, but I am not a huge chocolate baked good person. Yes, I love a good semi-sweet chocolate, but cake/cookies/brownies - not so much. Well, these came out so good. A nice combo of moist and dense, sweet but not overpowering.  I also replaced the butter with apple sauce - so much much much less guilt! I froze a bunch of these and they tasted great frozen, thawed, and fresh!
Next, I tried the shortbread mix. One of my favorite girl scout cookies was the shortbreads, so I was intrigued by these. I decided to (gasp) not really follow the directions and made "bars" rather than cut out cookies.  I again used apple sauce in place of the butter (more on that in a sec). I pressed the dough onto my pan and pushed in some pecans and mini-chocolate chips. They came out pretty good. A bit sweet for me, but a nice balance of chewy and dense. I bet with butter they are a true shortbread!
And now for something healthy! I have had one other brand of steel cut oats and these blew those out of the water! The oats are super thick and cooked up into an amazing bowl of yummy-ness.  You really have to be patient with steel cut oats, let them cook so they soften and become mush. Then some cinnamon, vanilla, and fresh berries and I was ready to take on my day!

Overall, I loved each of these. Of course with the oats, I have many more breakfasts to look forward to! And the other goodies, for the sake of my will power and waist line, I shared them with friends!

One reason I really love Bob's Red Mill is because their gf products are soy free and dairy free.  I used to be dairy free, and have decided I need to go back to that life style and the soy free is a new change, but one that I knew I had to make eventually - one reason I use apple sauce exclusively now in baking (dairy-free butters are soy based...).

So! Now it's your turn, anyone who leaves a comment will be eligible to win these three goodies! To be entered in, just leave a comment and next Monday night I will have a random drawing! Then these goodies will be on their way to your door! (US residents only, sorry!)

Good luck, and may the baked goods be in your favor.

14 thoughts on the matter:

Unknown said... {Reply}

I'm making a cake for a GF friend this week for her birthday, using this recipe I've blogged about before:

http://www.awesomeville.co.uk/index.php/archives/in-nigella-we-trust

It's super yum if you need some cake! I could never be GF, I love cake.

Unknown said... {Reply}

How wonderful that you could review these products for a company that you love. I love things like that! I laughed about you not being 100% in love with brownies. I think we can still be friends : )

Jade @ Tasting Grace said... {Reply}

Oh those all look so yummy!! I might have to beg you for the recipe!

rainfield61 said... {Reply}

Yummy.

I love cake.

Kmcblackburn said... {Reply}

Steel Cut Oats...my fav!

renae said... {Reply}

thank you for this info about all this yummy food. I haven't been diagnosed per se, but I know too much wheat gluten is a menace to me. I have to be careful with soy too. But, what I do is just have grains like once a day and sometimes every other day then, I'm ok.

Yes, I hope we are all healthy soon. thanks!!!

Anonymous said... {Reply}

I love Red Mill. Whenever I look for something and can't find it anywhere I know that they are going to have it...

Kim Stevens said... {Reply}

Not big on chocolate? No problem, I got ya covered ; )

I would love to try these, so yes I hope the baked goods are in MY favor!!

Kim Cunningham said... {Reply}

Yay! This sounds like a fun giveaway! The brownies and shortbread are calling my name! Love how you dressed up the shortbread.

Gina Kleinworth said... {Reply}

Awwww- now I am really craving some brownies AND shortbread cookies. YUM! You just reminded me that I promised the hubs I would make him a treat today. He was disappointed that I didn't have goodies here waiting for him when he got home yesterday. I literally didn't have time. :) So I need to find the time today.

Mary said... {Reply}

Ummm Yummm foods. I love strawberries on steel cut oats.

Sharon said... {Reply}

Your blue bowl is lovely! I eat oatmeal every day. I'd love to win!

Unknown said... {Reply}

Looks like great stuff! I love steel cut oats!

Linda Kittmer said... {Reply}

Thanks for the reviews. They all sound good. I'll have to try the shortbread with butter :D but I love the addition of pecans and chocolate!