Thursday, October 31, 2019

One year. Two grades.

This year, after 7 years of solely teaching 3rd grade I am teaching 3rd and 2nd grade! I now spend half my day with 3rd grade and half my day in new territory...second...and I am loving it. It is amazing to me how big a difference there is between this one year of elementary school and it's been so fun to begin watching how 7-year-old second graders become the 8-year-old third graders I know so well.
I'm actually really lucky that my second graders are amazing readers this year and we've spent most of our time lately on advancing our reading comprehension skills vs polishing the basics. During independent reading time though, 2nd graders love pouring over books about sharks and animals together and my third graders often curl up alone with a long chapter book!
Math has been the biggest "wow" moment in terms of seeing how much 2nd graders will learn before I get them (again!) in third grade. We began math in 2nd grade going over ways to make 10 and doubles facts. Third grade starts with place value of 6 digit numbers before moving onto advanced addition and subtraction.
Even phonics has been day and night. From learning sight words and more basic spelling patterns in second grade to 4 syllable words with complex vowel patterns in third grade. To think a year of academic growth is between these lessons is pretty crazy. The young brain is pretty amazing.
Social studies has been the most similar. Both grades are so eager and curious and we started the year in both grades learning geography, just way more in-depth in third grade. I will say that my 2nd graders are more willing to color than those 3rd graders!

Overall, I am loving the chance to try out a new grade. It was a touch stressful at first while I got a handle on a new curriculum (let alone 2 curriculums at once). Second graders are equally hilarious and adorable as third graders and it's fun to know I will get two years with some of these kiddos meaning a super special bond!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

11 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...the idea of teaching my second grade granddaughter who knows everything and always gets the last word in wouldn't excite me!

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Aw, Tamar, I am so glad that you are enjoying this new teaching set up. It really is amazing how much they grow and learn during those years. I have one kid in 1st grade and one in 3rd grade so I totally know what you are talking about. They learn so much so quickly that I am often surprised at what they know! Even between kindergarten and 1st grade, it was like my son couldn’t read and struggled then suddenly, like overnight, he is a fluent reader. Thank you so much for what you do...it is one of the most important jobs on earth!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Joanne said... {Reply}

I was a full time substitute teacher for our town for a couple of years and I found that so many of the elementary school years saw such huge jumps in skills and abilities! I just loved getting to be in a different classroom (most days) and got to know ALL the students.

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

It must be rewarding seeing how much you have taught the students in a year. When I taught 11th graders, even they loved to color! :)

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

Those kids who get you for two years are super blessed!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

It is amazing how much their young brains learn in a year! They must love you as their teacher!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I think I'd be stressed to take on a new class! Good for you and glad you're enjoying it!

Bekah said... {Reply}

How fun to be able to see - but oh my goodness! I can't imagine the double planning. You really are amazing!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

So very cool. God Bless You. I could never teach little kids. Taking on a new class is hard. I just did it. The district I was in moved me from alternative education to a middle school and it is hard. Kudos to you.

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Sounds a great school 👍

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

It is amazing how much difference one year can make in children's maturity and their abilities to process information. You sound like an amazing and enthusiastic teacher!