Thursday, June 18, 2020

8 Is a Lot of Years

To paraphrase a line from Love Actually, "8 is a lot of {years}, David"

This week saw the end of an 8-year chapter as a classroom teacher. The past 8 years in the classroom have been amazing. I've watched 8 groups of children learn and grow before my eyes. I've grown as an educator, as well, more than I ever could have hoped and imagined I could have.
Each year, I had 180ish days with a group of kiddos who challenged me, made me laugh, taught me new things, and pushed me to be the best darn teacher I could be. I saw them grow and learn in front of my eyes and it was a gift each and every year.
I designed units. I wrote a math curriculum. I found new ways to use technology. I fell in love with flexible seating. I collaborated. I got support. I taught a range of unique and diverse learners.  I learned new things in preparation for teaching my classes and in return these kids taught me as well.
Some days were hard. Some days were a breeze. Some days flew by and others crawled. But I wouldn't trade these 8 years for the world. They made me the educator I am today. 2 schools. 2 sets of mentors molding me into I am today. 8 years of coworkers who became good friends and a second family.
Somewhere along the way, the desire to start a new chapter began and here I am about to embark on it. These 230 (give or take one or two) students will forever be my kids. They have a beyond special place in my heart and everything they taught me will help me in my new chapter as I work with teachers and other educators now.

8 years is a lot of years. But in someway my first days at KSA feel like yesterday.  In reality, that first class will be Juniors this coming school year. My first class at Maimo is going into high school in the fall. Teaching is a career with clear ways to mark time. The 8 years have left an amazing mark on who I am. Can't wait to see what my time and new role at WDS brings!




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter



Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!


17 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...I hope that all of your coming years are as rewarding.

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

I love these photos and I love your special words. I am sure you are a wonderful educator!

aspiritofsimplicity said... {Reply}

Congratulations on starting your new adventure! Bittersweet.

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

New beginnings are wonderful!
All the best to you!

Bekah said... {Reply}

I know I've LOVED having a blog-row seat to a few of these years of teaching. I have learned from you, even though I'm not a teacher and I don't have kids! You're going to do an amazing job in your new role, and I'm excited to have a blog-row seat for that, too! :)

Barbara Rogers said... {Reply}

What wonderful kids...and I love the Otter sayings/guidelines. I'm learning still the Otter ways. May your new endeavors be as fulfilling as these last 8 years were - where you and those young people touched each other's lives so deeply.

David M. Gascoigne, said... {Reply}

You have my deepest respect and admiration for all these years spent in educating these children. I am sure that none of them will forget you.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

Your students have been so fortunate to have you as their teacher! That is one of my favorite lines from the movie!

LA Paylor said... {Reply}

I'm not sure what job you'll take on in future, but I've loved watching and hearing about your kids here. You are a fab teacher especially compared to the ones I worked with (when I was a social worker)back east. I wish you joy
LeeAnna

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Congrats! I'm sure you'll miss it but they new job should go great too!

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

Good luck with your new job! I taught 31 years at the high school level, about 120 kids/year. Over 3700 students. I loved (almost) every moment.

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Bless you, the kiddos, and the Jewish people!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

Best wishes on your new venture, Tamar! I know you will miss being an in-classroom teacher, but I also know that your new opportunities will be enhancing, interesting, and a special accomplishment in your career!

Joanne said... {Reply}

Sounds like exciting changes! I started my blog 8 years ago... it's amazing how fast time flies by.

Linda said... {Reply}

Beautiful pictures! I know your future is bright.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh Tamar, what a beautiful post! I have enjoyed watching your adventures in teaching and I wish you so much success and happiness in your new role!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

Good luck in your new venture. I know that you will be missed by all the kiddos.