Thursday, August 6, 2020

Modernist Marvel

I had always seen this building - the Erich Lindemann Mental Health Center -  in downtown Boston, but never really looked closer. It's tucked away in between some more "popular" or well-explored places, but I saw a few IG posts featuring it and knew it was now or never to explore before I shipped out.
It's been called an architectural marvel - a modern concrete structure attached to the Department of Health and actually unfinished. There are snaking staircases, curves and sharp angles, and hand chiseled rippled walls. It's initial design was to match that of the starkly modern (and massively ugly) City Hall and the style of other buildings in Government Center.

It's amazing the mix of architecture in downtown Boston. One block can hold a building from 1776 and another is a concrete monstrosity! I will miss that contrast in White Plains for sure!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

10 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Cool building from interesting perspectives!

Tom said... {Reply}

...concrete never looked so good.

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

I am going to miss your views of Boston...

Natasha said... {Reply}

I love exploring unique buildings in our city. This is a great perspective.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Very cool!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

That last picture reminds me of a frog! I love and will miss your Boston posts! Hopefully I'll have some to share!

Bhavesh Chhatbar said... {Reply}

What an awesome building!

Joanne said... {Reply}

I was going to say that the last photo reminds me of a frog too! I saw that someone else had that same thought. What neat architectural details.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

These are really cool photos, Tamar! Isn't it interesting to look at very different styles of architecture sitting side by side? I wish you much luck in White Plains!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What a cool building. Very nice. Thanks for sharing it.