Thursday, August 27, 2020

The Path - Westchester Side

In 2018, the Gov. Mario M Cuomo Bridge opened and replaced the crumbling Tappan Zee Bridge. It's a gorgeous new span across the Hudson River and this shiny new bridge came complete with a walking and biking path that just opened in June. I took advantage of a clear, cooler night to walk part of it and take in the sights!
On the Westchester side, there is some fun art as you make your way across the span. At least a half-mile is still over the land! There is really tall barriers on either side so you never feel too close to the traffic or edge on the other side.
Along the 3.5ish mile bridge, there are a bunch of outlooks over the water so you can take in the sites. Each has unique features and views. I made it to 3 of them and each was so fun and afforded me stunning views of Tarrytown, the river, and the sunset.
The new bridge is stunning, that is for sure. A beautiful update to the old span which was basically falling into the river. I am a sucker for a cable bridge and am really in awe of how this one towers over the river.
I cannot wait to explore the other half of the path. I hear the Nyack side has tons of fun art too. Eventually, when my leg is stronger I will totally use this as a running route!




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

16 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Love the viewing platform. I could sit there for a long time watching the water.

Tom said... {Reply}

...what a fabulous eye you have.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh wow, Tamar, these photos are stunning! I had no idea that the Tappan Zee bridge was no more. Perhaps that is a good thing as the Tappan Zee is where I had a major panic attack many years ago that sent me into a bipolar oblivion for about a decade! Nothing against that old battered bridge, it just happens to be the place where it all went down...right there in the middle of rush hour traffic. Ha. This new bridge looks way better though!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Meditations in Motion said... {Reply}

Beautiful photos, Tamar! I went over the bridge last year and didn't realize the name had changed. We had been going over the Tappan Zee bridge ever since my sister went to college in Maine and we had to drive up and back (from PA) each year.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

The bridge does look so much better! We've been over it a few times. I didn't know you could walk it as well. The shots are beautiful and it looks like a fun project for exploring!

Natasha said... {Reply}

I'm adding this to our list of things to do when we get back to that area of New York. We did the Walkway Over The Hudson a few years ago and loved it! And you know I'm all about the art installations :)

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

That looks beautiful!

handmade by amalia said... {Reply}

Thank you for the lovely party!
Amalia
xo

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

Great views are a wonderful motivation to get out there and walk or run!

Lucy said... {Reply}

All those wonderful architectural shapes are giving me all kinds of art inspo- thanks!

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Thank You

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

Wow! What an improvement over the old tappen Zee Bridge! What wonderful sights

Anonymous said... {Reply}

It’s so cool that pedestrians can use the bridge too! Beautiful scenery.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Joanne said... {Reply}

What a beautiful bridge; I love your photos.

Bekah said... {Reply}

While I have seen bridges that have a pedestrian side, I've never seen any with overlooks! I love that idea!!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What a beautiful bridge. Great pics. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week.