Thursday, April 14, 2022

Fairmount Water Works

Right beneath the Philly art museum along the banks of the Schuykill River is the Fairmount Water Works. Back in the 1800s it was the 2nd municipal waterworks in the city to help clean and move the water in the city. Now days it's a public event space and mini-museum. I'd been down in the museum before, but this time we got to see a powerful exhibit called POOL.
I had no idea that the space was used as public pools in the 1970s. The area not usually open to visitors is currently housing an exhibit about pools and segregation. The exhibit was beautiful and really opened my eyes to how swimming was so segregated before the civil rights movement. It was a powerful use of space for sure!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

13 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

How interesting! I love exploring off the beaten track places like these. חג פסח שמח!

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

A sad story from our history that needed telling.

Tom said... {Reply}

...segregation is still with us.

Natasha said... {Reply}

We need to learn, and here, so much more about segregation. I was shocked when I read that some pools were filled with cement rather than the members accepting integration. Like, WHAT?!??!

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Tamar, you find the coolest exhibits! I have been reading a lot lately about the history of the Civil Rights Movement and all the segregation stuff. It breaks my heart every time I read these stories.

Shelbee

Bekah said... {Reply}

I agree with Shelbee - you do find the coolest exhibits! What a very powerful message to explore with art! (Also, side fun fact: Fairmount to me means where James Dean was born! It is a town right by Marion, where I used to live. That was the first thing on my mind when I saw the beginning of the post!)

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

What an interesting exhibit.

Donna Reidland said... {Reply}

These are stories that need to be told and remembered. Thanks for sharing.

Cloudia said... {Reply}

I love this buildings and have never seen inside! Thank you!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

So interesting and your photos are powerful!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

I had never heard about this place. Very cool!

Lucy said... {Reply}

Wow never heard of this- so interesting. Have a great weekend!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

What a cool place. Thanks for sharing it with us.