Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Retuning to Woodbine

We took a break from the beach, pool, and boards one day to go south to Woodbine. Our family is seeped in Woodbine's history and we wanted to get back for a visit and show Ben and the boys just where our roots are. Woodbine was the only all-Jewish town ever incorporated in the USA and was founded by a rich Jewish railroad Barron. Both sides of my maternal lineage lived in the town and it's where my grandparents met and the rest is history! 

We stopped at the Woodbine Brotherhood Synagogue, which is now a museum all about the Jewish community in the area. My mom went to the synagogue when she was growing up and was able to show which pew my grandfather sat in. The woman who runs the museum is an old family friend and she was there so it was wonderful to see her, too. We also paid a visit to the cemeteries in the town (yep, small town, two cemeteries...politics!!). It was the first time my sister was back where my grandparents were buried since my grandfather died 14 years ago (yesterday on the English calendar) and the first time I'd been since the unveiling. 
We also went over to what used to be our family's propane gas company. My great-great-grandfather founded the company in the early 1900s and my grandfather took it over and ran it for many years until we sold it in the early 2000s. By beyond random chance, my grandfather's office manager was working that day and we had a special reunion. He watched Avi and me grow up and it was beyond amazing to catch up. He let out explore the building and propane yard. Avi and I used to spend summers running around, climbing on tanks, and playing hide and seek! Bill had some old family photos that he gave to us as well as magnets and other office supplies that had the original company name on them. 

It was a beyond-amazing day of reunions and memories!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

7 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...this is such an interesting family story!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

That's really interesting. I hadn't heard of the history of that town but I think Dave's uncle may have lived there for awhile.

Joanne said... {Reply}

I loved reading this! Your family history in the area really brought it to life too.

roentare said... {Reply}

The lines and patterns are your specialty. Good family photo!

Lydia C. Lee said... {Reply}

How interesting that an all Jewish town was settled. I wonder if it was to escape daily persectution (microaggressions) when they arrived here or just precautionary or because they just all liked to live/work near each other? We have a town here, Handorf, that is weirdly german (architecture, food etc) and it's because it was settled by Lutherans escaping persecuion from Prussia (& Crimea?)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

That is so awesome about your family's business and about Woodbine too! How lucky to meet up the manager and get some photos and old magnets. I love that kind of thing!!

Jim said... {Reply}

Interesting history there.