Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Flexible Seating. A Year Later.

Sitting on my own, not by myself...
Everybody's here with me...

{Sitting - Cat Stevens}

It's been just about a year since I threw caution to the wind and launched 100% flexible seating in my room.

I am sad I didn't do it sooner. I am sad I didn't have this in school! I am so happy I did this and haven't regretted it for a moment!!!

My classroom has been transformed. No fighting over seats. No "ewww I have to sit next to them!" No tripping over 20 chairs.

Now it's just learning, engagement, tripping over kids on the floor, and a relaxed and safe learning environment.

The best thing has been how easily the kids just get to work. It's natural. It's painless. Sure, there are times where I need to move kids. It's also a miracle if a day goes by without someone falling off a hokki stool. I've even realized we need fewer Go Noodle breaks because they are naturally moving about as they work and learn! I love how they've taken ownership over this too and come up with some pretty wacky seating choices...

BUT. oh BUT! The pay offs. I just love it. My room isn't loosie goosie by any means. There are times where I need everyone around the rug. There are times they can't be too far from the learning. There are times where someone loses a spot/choice. But I can see, with less than 8 weeks in the year (say what!) that these kiddos know who they are as learners, know what spot works best when, and are just thriving.


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

17 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...what a creative classroom. Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you again.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

I love this!! You are such a great teacher!

NCSue said... {Reply}

How fun is that!
Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/04/elvis-sighting-in-israel.html

packmom said... {Reply}

This is so cool and I know my kids would love to have these options. They sit in the weirdest places at home to work but whatever works for them I'm ok with.

Taz + Belly said... {Reply}

Don't think I'm being ridiculous, but I almost teared up reading this! I was THAT KID who couldn't sit still in class (I'm still that kid, but at 37, I can choose where and how to sit pretty regularly). Fortunately, I had teachers who never minded that I stood next to my desk or had one knee on the seat and one leg on the floor. Sophie would THRIVE with an option like this in her classroom!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I really wish my kids, especially Zachary, had this in their classrooms!

Ida said... {Reply}

How fun is that. You are a great teacher because you think outside the box and want to make learning a fun experience for your students.

Anonymous said... {Reply}

Great the kids can sit the way they want to, and I bet there's more concentration and focus this way!!
Often am too busy with All-Seasons-meme to also comment, because for a Wordpress-er it takes about 6 clicks to post it!

Buckeroomama said... {Reply}

Kids do learn better when they're allowed to move about, without too much restriction. Yay for free seating!

betty-NZ said... {Reply}

What a simple but fabulous idea! Every classroom should have this!

Bekah said... {Reply}

I love this - I remember loving it when you first talked about it! I wish we would have had it in our school too (even though personally, I'm fine to sit at a desk in a normal chair) because I think it would have made school that much more fun! You're a great teacher! :)

Chere Mama said... {Reply}

Ingenious!!! Especially for boys. My oldest son learned his math facts hanging upside down from the sofa. It just seems more of a natural learning space. And the pictures are fun too!!!

Indah Nuria Savitri said... {Reply}

love the classroom! Very creative and flexible. And you use the painted used tyres as well!

Jill Foley said... {Reply}

I love that it's working so well for them.

Claire Justine said... {Reply}

Such a lovely classroom. The seats look like fun :) Thanks for linking up.

likeschocolate said... {Reply}

In 4th grade, my son had a teacher who realized that he had a hard time sitting still in a chair and let him stand at his desk and there was an immediate change in his performance and behavior.

Unknown said... {Reply}

Office chair tips
Important things about desk chair mat
Foam floor bags vs Traditional bean bag