Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Downtown Detroit

Get up
Everybody's gonna move their feet...
Get down
Everybody's gonna leave their seat
You gotta lose your mind in Detroit Rock City...


{Detroit Rock City -- KISS}

I was in Detroit at the beginning of the month for a wedding and made use of my time there to do some exploring! It was my first time in the state (I've been to 25/50 states now!) and I did a lot of research on the neat things to see. They've been working on bringing the downtown, along the river, to life and I found some neat spots to explore. 

I started at Campus Martius Park. There was a neat KAWS statue across from the park itself. In the park, there was an awesome fountain and for summer they'd put out fun games and lots of seating. The main attraction is the statue which was built after the Great Fire of 1805. Ever hear of 8 Mile Road - it's 8 miles from this park. 

Then I went over to the Guardian Building. Called the "Cathedral of Finance" it's atrium is a stunning combination of art deco, Native American, and Aztec influences. 

I walked a few more blocks to Hart Plaza, right near the waterfront. The big attraction was the Spirit of Detroit which was dedicated in the late '50s to represent the spirit of the city. There was also the Joe Louis Memorial, dedicated to the famous boxer and a few other neat sculptures and fountains.

The plaza fronts on the Detroit River. Canada is practically spitting distance across the river, which was neat to see! There was also a statue marking a stop on the Underground Railroad. I walked a bit along the river to the Renaissance Center. The city's tallest building is home to the GM world headquarters. Inside was a super neat building complete with tons of GM cars on the floor to explore! 

All around the area where cute restaurants and little cafes. I think Detroit's downtown is having it's renaissance once again!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

9 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...great to see that Detroit is coming back to life.

Bekah said... {Reply}

This was fun to read! I've only been to Detroit via the airport - I think. We may have gone there when I was little, but if so, I clearly don't remember much about it. It looks fun!

Veronica Lee said... {Reply}

I've enjoyed reading this post. I'd love to visit Detroit someday.

Fabulous photos, BTW.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

It looks like a cool city to see. We had considered going there this summer if Gabbie did the Maccabi games, which she ended up not doing in the end.

Jill Foley said... {Reply}

I've been to the Detroit airport so many times...and have visited a friend that lives not too far from the city, but I don't think I've actually been to the city. Your photos make it look like a pretty good place to visit.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

This is so cool! Looks like a fun city to visit and explore! Michigan is on my list!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

So very nice. Makes me want to visit my friends in the Motor City.

Klara S said... {Reply}

It is a cool city!
Thank you for hosting.

Claire Justine said... {Reply}

Lovely photos Tamar. I would love to visit. They had something similar to your top picture in London a few years ago but I never got to see it, just some photos when my husband got home. It looks so cool. Thanks for sharing at The Wednesday Blog Hop, hope to see you again tomorrow.