Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Concrete Dreams

In New York...
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
There's nothin' you can't do...

Now you're in New York...
These streets will make you feel brand new..


{New York, Concrete Jungle -- Alicia Keys}

Well...after a 2 year hiatus from running 26.2...on November 1st I am excited to announce that I am (hopefully on multiple levels) going for marathon number 3 -- and my 3rd World Major because.... 

I am (hopefully) running the 50th Anniversary of the NYC Marathon!! 

I am still a bit shocked I made the leap to do it (for the record, I signed up 2 weeks before life shut down...). I needed a goal to really help rekindle my relationship with running and all of a sudden there was a fire in my belly to go the literal distance. 

It's been quite the road for the last year since I developed the grade 2 stress reaction in my femur. I had hoped to be running Boston this year, but that was clearly tabled (in more ways than one) -- so here I am -- ready to take on high volume training and a big, big goal once again (kind of...keep reading).

I am running the race with Team For Kids, who I ran the NYC Half with last year. It's a fantastic charity that helps youth in the city get active through a range of programming. Fundraising while running Boston in 2018 was a hugely rewarding experience and I am sure this will be the same. 

Yes...there is one BIG (ok massive) IF around all the fall races, but right now the show is planned to go on, which means I need to start training and fundraising. If I reach my fundraising limit by September and the race is canceled or postponed to 2021, I have a guaranteed spot!

Another massive IF right now is some recurrent hip issues (major ugh). My doctor is optimistic we caught it early and it's soft tissue, not bone...so I can defer if the race does run (not sure HOW that can happen) and focus on getting these hips into shape! But...either way, I have some fundraising/rehab/and training to do!

If you would like to contribute to my fundraising you can find my page (with more information about TFK) here...thanks!! **I know it's such an awkward time to ask anyone for anything, but I figured I'd get a start, finally, on meeting my commitment!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 thoughts on the matter:

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

I hope you get to do it!

Tom said... {Reply}

...my best to you!

Lydia C. Lee said... {Reply}

Good luck and good to have something to look forward to - watch that hip tho. My husband kept pushing it and now can't run at all (and never got his star as he did a couple of other marathons that didn't count for it and then the body packed in...)

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

That is so very cool. Hoping that you do get do it.

Bekah said... {Reply}

Oh how exciting!!! I still remember the day of your Boston marathon!