Thursday, February 25, 2021

Happy Purim!

Purim is here! 
Tomorrow we mark Queen Esther risking her neck and standing up to the wicked Haman. 
Another celebration of good against evil. 
Purim this year, on the Jewish calendar, also really marks a year since the world stopped spinning. Last year, I decided to not to shul on Purim. Social distancing was just becoming a thing and the thought of all those people crowded in shul as Boston saw its first cases spooked me into staying home. 
Now here we are. Masks aren't just for hiding our identity on a fun holiday but a daily occurrence to keep us safe. A strange twist of life indeed. But! Onto happier things. 
This Purim may still look mighty strange, but I made my best batch of Hamantashen in years. I even learned recently that my go-to jelly Bonne Maman is a company that during the Holocaust hid Jews to save their lives. Goes along well with the Purim tale, don't you think?
Please Gd, next Purim we will celebrate together. With masks only used to playfully mask our identities not shield us from the virus. Sharing mishloach manot will be done without a thought, we'll host our friends for our Purim feasts, and we won't need to unmute on Zoom to hear the graggers during the Megillah readings!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

16 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Purim sameach! Your Hamantashen look wonderful! Mine aren't great this year. Some of them unfolded - but they taste good!

Tom said... {Reply}

...celebrate.

Michele Morin said... {Reply}

Yes, may all our celebrations next year be enhanced by all we have learned from the pandemic, but free of all the restrictions and fear.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Happy Purim, Tamar! And I will pray for the same thing for next year!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Natasha said... {Reply}

I keep altering the Passover blessing and saying, "Next year, in person!" May it happen... Also, those Hamantashen look delicious!

Lisa notes... said... {Reply}

I've never had Hamantashen but you make me want to try them! They are both beautiful and enticing. :)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said... {Reply}

I love Hamantashen! Gee I am impressed you make your own instead of going to a Jewish bakery. I miss celebrating holidays - especially Purim. When I worked at Jewish agencies someone always brought little children dressed up for Purim with food gifts. Nice memory.

Bekah said... {Reply}

One year seems unthinkable...I can hardly believe it! Also - these look amazing, and I JUST saw that very brand in the store yesterday. It caught my eye, so your story today made that even more special!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Last Purim it was all still a joke to us here. And it was the last thing we were able to do before it all became real. Been seeing that brand of jam everywhere! Good choice.

LA Paylor said... {Reply}

we eat that brand and love the orange peach especially. I will look for a recipe for the pastry... and thank you for sharing your heritage with us. We are richer for it, and around here do not understand why people choose to hate rather than enjoy each other's differences.

Joanne said... {Reply}

Those look delicious!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

This does look like your best batch ever! That is my favorite jelly too! Now I like it even more!

Grace Liang said... {Reply}

You have some great baking skills and thank you for sharing.

Sara Chapman in Seattle USA said... {Reply}

Happy Purim! My mouth is watering looking at your little hamentaschen. My mom's were the BEST. She used prune butter (lekvar) with lemon and walnuts, and even some shredded coconut, and her crust was thinner. They were fabulous. Sigh.

Lucy said... {Reply}

Happy Purim Tamar! xx

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

Looks so very yummy and Happy Purim.