Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Big Apple Half Marathon

I raced my first half back from injury on Sunday! The last time I laced up for 13.1 was in May 2019, 2 weeks before my injury went down so this has been a long time coming!

I spent the 10 weeks training for the Big Apple Half Marathon in Central Park. I had another great training cycle and knew I was ready physically -- mentally I was pretty chill -- ready to see what I could do. 
Naturally, it was the coldest day in weeks with snow and rain about to start at any minute. The course was 2, almost 3 loops of the park, so nice and hilly! I settled in pretty quickly and didn't mind the loops, if anything it was helpful to know when the hills were coming. I walked the water stops but otherwise put it in cruise control. Around Mile 10, I realized I was likely very close to my PR time and pace. I was starting to fatigue but at the same time another runner and I started to keep pace with each other with the goal to finish at the same time (we did!) which helped motivate me the last bit. 

I finished as the rain and snow started - so yep, another wet weather half - and knew my time was basically at PR pace but needed the official report. 

2:04:13 (9:29 pace) -- a mere 40 seconds of my March 2018 PR time! I am shocked at how I did racing this distance again and know I will only improve from there!

But fist, some rest! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

9 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...congrats on your accomplishment!

Bekah said... {Reply}

Congratulations! Hills are no joke, so GREAT JOB on the PR! What a great setting, too!!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Great job!

Lydia C. Lee said... {Reply}

Good for you. It's such a big thing for you runners! Suspect my husband will be limping over the line in Tokyo to get the Abbott star...but then I'm hoping he puts it to rest...he's mentally determined but his body has been putting up a fight the last few ones...

roentare said... {Reply}

Congratulations on the run!

Joanne said... {Reply}

Congratulations!!

Life Images by Jill, West Australia said... {Reply}

A huge achievement. Well done you! I couldn't even imagin doing something like this, though my eldest son runs. Bask in your achievement. Enjoy your week. Stay safe and thankyou again for the linkup.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh how wonderful, Tamar! I am so glad that you are able to return to your passion. That is a huge achievement and 40 seconds off your PR for your first race back post-injury is amazing! Well done!

Shelbee

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

GREAT job! That is so awesome. You can pretty much predict the weather when you have a marathon to run!