Thursday, December 7, 2023

Crushed It...Literally...

Well...I apparently took people telling me to "crush" the marathon a little too literally and earned myself a medal and a grade 4 stress reaction in my hip/femur. My hip was tight in the week and a half before the race, but I assumed it was my normal TFL tightness and resorted to my usual methods to loosen it. Also...we all are convinced everything is broken during taper. I felt fine during the run, normal "I am running 26.2 miles" soreness...but in the days after the race, as the muscle soreness went down, it was pretty clear my hip was not ok.
I got lucky and got right into my doctor 2 weeks post race. At that point I was having a lot of pain and limping a fair amount - enough that people at work could tell I wasn't comfortable. An x-ray showed a suspected stress-fracture and until I could get the MRI, I was given my new accessory...crutches! I was flying to Oregon the next day, so that made travel super interesting...!
The MRI showed a "Grade 4a stress reaction" so to quote my doctor "we caught it early...but not early enough..." Essentially, if I had figured it was nothing and started to run again I could have ended up with a complete fracture in my hip. 
The plan is 6 weeks on crutches, and assess if I can start to weight bear more and start increasing activity. Running is still far off, but I am in shockingly good spirits about this. I ran the marathon! I got my PR! I have come back from a similar injury before, so I know it's possible. But for now...I am doing jigsaw puzzles on the Pelo tread belt...!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

15 thoughts on the matter:

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Goodness! Glad you caught it before it got worse. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Tom said... {Reply}

...life can throw you a curve. Take care and be well.

a heartful child said... {Reply}

I'm so glad that you are on the way to healing. Happy Hanukkah!

Amy Johnson said... {Reply}

I just had a hip replacement, be careful with your hips! Thanks for the party!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Wow! At least you're in good spirits about it. Love the OY picture.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

I'm sorry that you are going through this but glad to hear you are in such good spirits. The OY photo of you is placed perfectly after that paragraph. Clever!! You should be jazzed about your marathon run and PR..you'll heal up in no time!

Cloudia said... {Reply}

Happy Hanukkah. More meaningful than ever! Hope you are well very soon Aloha

LA Paylor said... {Reply}

well, you have a runner's heart for sure.
and the best attitude!
LeeAnna

Esme Slabbert said... {Reply}

Glad you managed to finish the race but sorry about the pain and hip issues. Take care and rest up
I visited you via Little Things Thursday!
I linked up this week with = 25+26. I hope you will join us M-S SeniorSalonPitStop and W-S #WordlessWednesday. You will find both under BLOGGING.

roentare said... {Reply}

That is unfortunate. Speedy recovery!

ROAD GYPSIES - VAL & HOLLAND said... {Reply}

Oh - MAN!

Sorry to read about your ouch :-(

I hope you heal speedily … and have a funtastic week!

Joanne said... {Reply}

I'm glad you caught it early and didn't put off a doctor visit until after your trip. Hope it heals quickly!

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Oh my goodness, Tamar, this post is full of good and bad stuff, isn't it? I am so happy for that you completed the marathon and with a PR and a medal! That is super exciting. But I am so sorry that you injured your hip again. Hip pain is no joke! I am glad that you and your doctors are on top of it. I am sending you some healing Reiki energy! Also wishing you a very Happy Hanukkah!

Shelbee

rupam sarma said... {Reply}

Ohh, Prayers for your speedy recovery.
Take care. Get well soon.

Natasha said... {Reply}

Oh my. Wishing you refuah shleimah and an easy recovery.