Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Science Rocks!

Gov. Cuomo prioritized vaccines for educators in Phase 1 of the rollout, so in mid-January I was able to sign up for my shot! I will admit, the whole signing up process was more like the rush to get concert tickets, but thanks to our amazing HR person at work I got an appointment at Hospital for Special Surgery down in the city. 
HSS was probably the best place to go - so efficient. I was there for an hour from parking to being back in my car (and that would have been shorter, but I always show up way too early and they were sticking to the scheduled times). I registered, showing my proof of eligibility, and was given my blank CDC card -- that was surreal!
I was taken to the next waiting area and when a nurse was ready, I was called back. I was screened and given my shot. It barely hurt going in -- my allergy shots which go in the same part of the arm hurt more. Once she was done I went to the "sit and wait out a reaction area." They aren't messing around with the risk of reaction (which are so few and far between) and there was a very well stocked crash cart sitting next to me! After 15 minutes I was feeling great and was free to go! 
It was a really powerful experience! I said two brachot (blessings) as she injected the vaccine. One that thanks Gd for bestowing us with something good and one we say to mark a special occasion - usually ones that come once a year or for the first time. I was really euphoric all day afterward - it's not a get out of COVID card - but it felt like a new chapter. 
By that evening my arm was a touch sore - nothing bad and some Tylenol took care of it. I woke up the next morning with a pretty sore arm - but nothing worse than the flu shot or tetanus shot and Tylenol made it barely ache. I did have a bit of a "groggy" headache which I do not typically have in the morning. So I just pushed fluids and by afternoon was feeling normal. 

3 weeks later it was time to get this vaccine party finished! It was an even more efficient ship then before. They only had 2nd dose appointments at a certain time so less waiting. Walked in, showed my CDC card, and 2 minutes later I was vaccinated. 
Another 15 minute wait in the "don't have a reaction" section and I was good to go with new little anti-bodies coursing through my veins! The nurse monitoring the area was the same one as before and she even remembered me which was fun.
It's pretty amazing that 11 months to the day from the last time my life was "normal" I was vaccinated. The day of my first dose I felt euphoric, this time it was more immense gratitude to have made it 11 months without this sneaky virus getting me. I am grateful that I stayed safe knowing my asthmatic lungs could have been hit hard. 
Reaction wise this go around, I had a tender arm later in the day but Tylenol worked wonders. I slept great, woke up to a minor ache in the arm and a very minor headache. Once again fluids and Tylenol did their job. Had it been a workday I would have been at work, zero problems!
These two shots are by no means a get out of jail free card. I will continue to mask (I now double mask at work) and practice all the various mitigation efforts encouraged by the CDC and trusted doctors in my circle. This effort takes a village, but right now I am so thankful for this little vile of modern medicine (Avi mailed me an empty vile after volunteering at a clinic!). Here's to a new, healthier chapter for us all!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

12 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...getting an appointment is still a challenge here.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Congrats! We have no idea when we'll be eligible, as non essential people over here!

Zinaida Strinu said... {Reply}


Well, my husband and I haven't had the vaccine yet.

italiafinlandia said... {Reply}

Well done! You must be happy. :-)

Joanne said... {Reply}

Glad you didn't have much of a reaction at all. I know a few people that had a doozy of a time with the second shot (but still waaay less than if they had actually contracted Covid).

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

That's so awesome. I've been cheering you on!

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

Congrats, I am happy for you. Don't know when educators in the SF Bay Area will be eligible. We are far down on the list.

Linda said... {Reply}

I got my second shot today! I would do a happy dance but I'm too tired.

Handmade in Israel said... {Reply}

Loved reading your thoughts about the vaccine. I have also received both. Not feeling as elated as I expected but we're definitely on the right road!

Life Images by Jill said... {Reply}

Congrats! you are the first person I know who has had a vaccination. They have only just arrived here in Australia, and I am not an essential worker, so will have to wait awhile. Did they give you a red badge to wear? Cool! Stay safe!

Natasha said... {Reply}

I'm so excited for you!!! School employees in our province haven't been given priority so I am likely way down the list...

amanda joseph said... {Reply}

3m 1860 mask for sale